Baba Ghannouj is a delicious aubergine dip that is a staple of every Lebanese meze. The smoky flavors infused by charring the aubergine skins combine with the nutty tahini creating a dish ready to take on the more famous hummus as our favorite dip around. Serve with warm pita bread or fresh crudités.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes/ Cooking Time: 20 minutes
• 2 large aubergines (approx 600g/1lb 5oz each)
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
• 125g/41⁄2oz tahini
• 150ml/1⁄4pt fresh lemon Juice
• A drizzle of olive oil
• Large handful pomegranate seeds
• Sprig of fresh mint
• Warm pitta bread or fresh crudités to serve
1. Place the aubergine as is (without peeling) directly on the gas flame stove.
2. Leave roasting, turning occasionally until the skin is blackened and pulp is tender.
This process should take around 15 minutes.
3. Allow cooling before peeling the aubergine under running cold water to remove the
skin easily. Trim the stem from the aubergine.
4. Place the remaining aubergine flesh in a pot and mash with a fork, adding the garlic
tahini, lemon juice and salt.
5. Mix all ingredients until well combined and taste to adjust salt and lemon.
6. Spread the dip in a serving plate and drizzle with olive oil and garnish with pomegranate seeds to serve.
The Sfouf is a unique anise-flavored yellow-colored cake. It is simple, healthy, low fat and easy-to-make cake, it can’t get better than that!
Serves 10-12 (makes 24 small square bites)
Preparation time 10 minutes Cooking time 30-35 minutes
1. Preheat the oven 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4 and line a traybake tin with baking paper or lightly grease it with tahini.
2. In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
3. Mix together the vegetable oil and water then, in a steady trickle, slowly add this to the dry ingredients until the batter is even and free of lumps. Pour the batter into the prepared tin, sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven and cool completely in the tin before cutting into small squares.